Our mission is to unite all under the common belief that a successful region has dynamic and diverse neighborhoods with a mix of housing opportunities, legislation that supports a well-balanced housing market, and protection of private property rights for all. Our Housing Summit seeks to open a dialog about the current state of our housing, pending legislation and community investment that can improve all facets of our region.
In 2017, the region’s housing sales topped $466 million, with a multiplier effect creating an additional $58.5 million of economic impact. The National Association of REALTORS reports that in Massachusetts, the real estate industry accounted for $89,488 million or 18.5% of the gross state product in 2015. That is a significant impact to our local economy, and having a community-wide conversation about this is critical for our future. As the voice for real estate in Berkshire County, we are excited to offer this opportunity.
Community Stakeholders to Be Invited
- Legislators on the local, state and national levels
- Secretary of Housing and Economic Development for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Town Managers and local housing authorities and trusts
- Housing Service, Planning and Development Organizations
- Real Estate Professionals, Residential and Commercial
- Area Builders, Developers, Lenders, and Attorneys
- General Public
Basic Agenda (panel discussions under development / refinement):
- Welcome and Opening Remarks
- Government Affairs Update: Legislation Impacting Housing The Housing Choice Initiative
- MA Secretary of Housing and Economic Development, Jay Ash: The Housing Economy
- Tribute to the 50th Anniversary of the Fair Housing Act
- Homeownership Amid Changing Demographics. Current inventory, sales and associated trends
- Panel Discussion: Challenges & Opportunities In Housing Availability: Moderator, Sandra Carroll CEO
- Massachusetts Senator Adam Hinds: Impact of Infrastructure Investment to our housing market and economy
- Panel Discussion: Strength of Homeownership = Strength of Economy, Moderator State Senator Adam Hinds
- Presentation of the Berkshire Housing Hero Award (readers encouraged to submit!)
- Realtor Wrap-Up: Take-a-ways/Action items, wrap up and thanks
- Take the Stage: Guests invited to Networking / Interactive Displays as curtain rises